Keratin services, also known as Brazilian blowouts or keratin treatments, have become increasingly popular at salons for their ability to smooth and tame frizzy hair. However, there are important pros, cons, and health risks to consider before booking an appointment.
- Smooths and softens hair, making it more manageable and reducing frizz.
- Can last for several months, making it a semi-permanent solution.
- Can improve the overall appearance of hair, making it look healthier and shinier.
- Can be expensive, with prices ranging from $200-$500 or more.
- The process can be time-consuming, taking up to several hours to complete.
- Results are not permanent and will fade over time.
- The chemicals used in the treatment can be harsh and potentially damaging to hair.
- The most common health risk associated with keratin services is the use of formaldehyde, a chemical that is used in some keratin treatments to help bond the hair. Formaldehyde can be harmful to the eyes, skin, and respiratory system, and has been classified as a carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer.
- Some people may experience allergic reactions to the chemicals used in keratin treatments, which can cause skin irritation, redness, and itching.
- It is important to choose a reputable salon and stylist who is experienced in keratin services to minimize the risk of damage to your hair and health.
- Before booking a keratin treatment, ask your stylist about the specific products and chemicals they will be using, and research their safety.
- Consider alternatives to keratin treatments, such as natural hair care products or heat styling techniques, to achieve similar results without the potential health risks.
In summary, while keratin services can provide many benefits, there are important pros, cons, and health risks to consider before booking an appointment. It is important to weigh these factors carefully and do your research to ensure the safety and health of your hair and body.